Protect and Maintain Trails and Open Space
The ALMAnac - Local News, Amusing Features, Vital
Vol. 4 No. 1 - (8MB PDF File)
Vol. 4 No. 2 - (8MB PDF File)
Alma River Walk
The River Walk will incorporate the serene aspects of the Middle Fork of the South Platte with historical and educational signage connected with a combination boardwalk and graveled trail. Mining equipment will be put on display to relate the mining heritage of Alma.
Photos of Riverwalk Ribbon Cutting
Alma Foundation Annual
Scholarships Awarded to seniors at South Park High School RE-2
2017 - Jayme Dyc and Shannon Anderson @ $1,000 each
2016 - Ella Pizarro and Zackery Douglas @ $1,000 each
2015 - Alden Scholl and Mikela Hill @ $1,000 each
2014 - Joseph Wilson and Jackson Bullock @ $750 each
2013 - Sam Weston and Lewis Clark @ $750 each
2012 - Grace Barrett and Soryn Wands @ $750 each
2011 - Thomas Rightmire & Sydni Heffelman @ $750 each
2010 - Dustin Selleck, Calvin Taylor & Alex Weston @ $750 each
2009 - Breanna Moreland & Jordon Hibbs @ $750 each
2008 - JJ Mulder & Annie Boukhalfa @ $750 each
2007 - Hendrikje Kasper & Aaron Watters @ $750 each
Buckskin Gateway Park
Open space & recreation area
Border with Buckskin cleaned up; parking area improved.
'Park County Bulletin (Alma, Park County)' Digitized & Online
You can browse or search the issues 1898 to 1907. The Fairplay Flume is also available 1879 to 1926.
Go to: www.
Click 'Browse' or 'Search' - Select 'Park County Bulletin (Alma, Park County)'
Alma Stone Church
For rental information, contact the Town of Alma 719-836-2712 or email: email@example.com
One of the most treasured historic buildings in Alma was restored in the fall of 2004, thanks to efforts by the Alma Foundation, Town of Alma, and generous grants from the Colorado Historical Foundation and Park County Historic Preservation Advisory Commission.
The little stone building on Main St. was built in 1936 by Alma volunteers. Some of the stone is believed to be from a historic structure owned by the Tabors in the Buckskin Joe town site. It is on the state register of historic properties. Although often referred to as the “stone church,” the building has been used for a variety of functions including parties, meetings, weddings, funerals and more.
Scheuber + Darden and Image Builders were hired to perform the restoration work. The building is owned by the Town of Alma and serves a variety of functions as a public facility. A restroom has been added and a small kitchen is planned, as well as eventual plans for a finished basement.
The historic building is available to rent for private parties, weddings and other gatherings. We’d greatly appreciate any old photos or stories you have about events that took place here.
Alma's Cabin a/k/a Clesson
Alma Visitor Center & Alma Foundation Office when finished
History: The first individuals that came to Alma in the 1870’s were tenacious people with dreams of making a better life for themselves and their families. Built in 1871, the Clesson Cabin was one of the first permanent residences in Alma, reflecting the spirit of the town’s first settlers. The cabin is significant as an early example of the type of buildings found in Alma during its early mining era, as most of these early buildings did not survive the times or the many fires. It is an example of the log buildings prevalent during the late 19th century in Alma. From the early 1900s, the building was home to the Clesson family, although the Clessons never owned the property. It was designated as a Park County Historic Landmark in 2005.
Ladies Aid Building
Performance Hall when finished
Information on the history of the Ladies Aid Building: alma_walking_tour/index.html#tour15
YouTube video of work done 2014
Now known as the Alma Ladies Aid Hall, this building began as the office building and scale house for the Fanny Barrett Mining Association. The manufacturing facility of the Fanny Barrett Smelting Works, located to the north of the office, began operations in 1880 but closed shortly afterward. Oral histories claim the building later served as offices for the Moose Mining Co. and the Dolly Varden Mine, with the scale house continuing to weigh the burros and wagons employed to transport ore for many years.
The Alma Ladies Aid Society acquired the building in the late 1910s or 1920s. Created in 1894, the Ladies' Aid Society of the Christian Church "...visited the sick, pieced quilts, made bonnets and aprons to sell, sewed carpet rags, hemmed tea towels, tacked comforters, and aided specific church members who needed help." Locals recall the ladies hosting dances and box suppers in the building. Christmas plays, Halloween parties, birthdays, and funeral receptions were all housed under the roof of the former smelting office. While many fraternal organizations for men existed in the 19th and early 20th centuries, there were few outlets for women. The Ladies Aid Society provided a vehicle for community-minded ladies to serve the greater good of their communities through fundraising, outreach, and direct relief. The cultural spirit of the Alma Ladies Aid Society lives on in the community activities and events that take place in Alma today. The Alma Ladies Aid Hall is a Park County Local Historic Landmark.
For more info and to donate to the Paris Mill
The Paris Mill, a well-known and cherished historic mining mill near Alma was named one of Colorado’s Most Endangered Places in 2004 by Colorado Preservation Inc. The facility was built to stamp and crush gold ore during the mining boom of the late 1800’s. It was last used during the 1970’s by the Mount Bross Mining Company to re-process old mine waste piles.
“Among hundreds of properties and structures evaluated in a 1996 study of the region’s heritage resources, the Paris Mill was ranked as the highest preservation priority in South Park,” according to Gary Nichols, Park County Community Development Director. The Alma Foundation is working with South Park National Heritage Area, Colorado Preservation Inc. as well as numerous other organizations and individuals to save the Paris Mill, which is currently owned by Park County.
2004 - Listed as one of Colorado's Most Endangered Places by Colorado Preservation, Inc. Resulted in community meetings with Colorado Preservation Inc., Trust for Public Lands, and Mosquito Range Heritage Initiative and the owner (Chiwawa Mines Inc.) securing the building.
2005 - Designated as a Park County Historic Landmark
2006 - Wood Assessment is prepared
2006 - Conservation Easement placed on the property
2008 - Heritage tourism Site Plan prepared by Park County
2009 - Sold to Park County, awarded Brownfields Program grant for remediation/site cleanup
2009 to 2011 - Remediation and stabilization of south wing 2010 - Intensive Survey by an intern provided by Colorado Preservation, Inc., found to be eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
2011 to 2012 - Park County prepares a Historic Structure Assessment for the Mill
2012 - Park County receives a Certified Local Government grant for to prepare a nomination for the National Register of Historic Places (We are expecting this to go before the state review board this May)
2012 - Park County hosts a Community Work Day at the Mill in September with 20 volunteers. The building is secured, drainage issues are addressed, and minor repairs performed.
2012 to 2013 - Park County has a temporary roof placed on the tower, other roof repairs are performed with donated materials, and the cyanidation (west) wing's north wall is temporarily stabilized.